For me, nothing tastes quite like summer as much as fresh cilantro.
Whether it’s mixed into a homemade salsa, thrown into a black bean salad, or just sprinkled on top of any dish. I am always looking for new and creative ways to use it in my recipes, especially outdoor summer BBQ style!
I have made a similar recipe for fish tacos using grilled tilapia but chicken is something you’d be more likely to have on hand, and proves how versatile recipes can be.
These tacos are perfect for a hot summer night and combine a lot of my favorite elements from other recipes, so you can really get creative with what you want to add or not. Here’s what I was working with:
Grilled chicken, cut into thin strips
Red Cabbage, chopped up into thin strips and 2 tbsp of white vinegar
This adds some color and varied flavor to the tacos but is still optional
Cheese (I have used monterey jack, works well with these flavors)
Corn Tortillas, definitely a must-
These add a different flavor than your plain old flour ones, I liked that they were thinner and really allowed more of the flavors in side the taco to come through
Make sure you chop up some additional cilantro to sprinkle on top!
Preparation Directions (Written In a Suggested Order)
1. Prepare the cilantro sour cream by putting the three ingredients in a blender and blending until smooth (no cilantro chunks). It should be a delicious green color. Scrape this into a bowl, cover, and place in fridge while you prepare the rest.
2. Chop up the red cabbage (if you’re using this) and throw it with the white vinegar and pepper
3. For the chicken, I like to tenderize the meat before cooking it, I think it keeps in the moisture better. I just sprinkled on some salt and pepper before I put it on but you can also use any of your favorite seasoning
4. The avocado mixture can be prepared as the chicken cooks. Just mix together the chopped onion and avocado and add in some good ol S&P. I like using kosher salt in a lot of these recipes, but this isn’t necessary, just personal preference.
5. Once the chicken is all grilled up, cut it into thin strips.
6. Warm up the corn tortillas my throwing them on the warm grill or just popping them in the microwave.
7. When these are ready tell everyone whos been lounging outside watching you slave in the kitchen to throw back the rest of their mojito and come get it!